Friday, April 17, 2015

Shelby Park is for Lovers: My Wedding Day In SP

They were nervous. 

"Make sure you tell people where to park, and make sure the locals save the parking lot for our guests." 

I had visions of my out-of-town family finding their way to our church. No matter how they got here, they would all end up in Shelby Park. My parents were a little concerned. Frankly, I was a little concerned too. 

Our church hit the jackpot when it comes to cool buildings. Formerly St. Vincent's Catholic Church, built in 1886, we have vaulted ceilings and steeples and stained glass to your heart's delight. Needless to say, I was going to do whatever I needed to do to make sure that we got married in the joint. 



But the parking would be limited for our 550+ guest list, and the side streets had no guarantee of cleanliness or security, especially in late January when we might be getting snow. What would my extended family and old friends think of these trash-ridden streets with condemned houses and busted up sidewalks filled with so-called shady characters? I had lived here for 5 months, and I hadn't been really scared of anything yet, but I could imagine how it looked. Coming from clean, suburban streets, I could imagine what they would think when they saw my neighborhood. 


And what about our pictures? Would we be able to camouflage the grit and grime for our most precious keepsake from this all-important day? Could our amazingly talented photographer overcome the double obstacles of wintertime gray AND urban decay? 


Well, I'm here to tell you: We should ALL get married in Shelby Park. 


Sojourn Community Church has been home for me for a long time. More and more, Shelby Park is becoming home for me too. And it was no clearer than our on wedding day. 






As we ventured outside to take some pictures with the wedding party and families, Shelby Street had some steady traffic for a Saturday. Aubrey and Ashley, our photographers, braved the middle of the street as they gave us directions for their shots. And that's when it happened: 

Honk! Honk! "You look Beautiful!!" 

A passing car sent out their salutations on a cold January day. 

"Congratulations! Get it, Girl!" 

And another.... 

"Whoo!! Y'all have fun!" Honk! Honk! 





All afternoon long, until we lost count, cars on the street and passers-by on the sidewalk stopped in genuine joy and excitement to give us their congratulations. The love all those strangers offered was one of the best gifts we received that day. All I could think was, "Only in Shelby Park..." 




In Shelby Park, we all belong to one another. This place is ours. Others may see dirt, or brokenness, or crime. Others may be disgusted, or fearful, or concerned. No one else may want our neighborhood. But that's ok. Because we call this place home. And if you call it home too, well, then we're in this together. Shelby Park is able to hold us all—the young, the old, the broken, the hopeful, the depressed, the joyful, the skeptical, the believers, the struggling, the poor, the rich, and everyone in between. There is a place for us all. 

There are some hurts that won't heal until heaven. But oh, am I glad for those glimpses we catch of what that beautiful City will be like. And I caught one on my wedding day, in the most unexpected place. Thank you, Shelby Park. 



1 comment:

  1. Look, if you're gonna make me cry EVERY SINGLE post...

    Love y'all. Prayed just now for God to pour out his richest blessings on you and your ministry there, and to pour out his Spirit on Shelby Park.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Louisville, KY, United States
Believer of God. Follower of Christ. Wife of Casey. Violinist, Singer, Guitarist. Unequal parts feeler and thinker, but striving for balance. Enneagram 8, 4, 7, 3.

Blog Archive